The LED Chip-on-Board (COB) is an essential component in Sonic Mini 8K S that projects UV light through the LCD to cure resin and create your 3D models. However, the LED may experience wear and tear over time and eventually become burnt out.
Replacing the LED is therefore necessary to ensure that the printer is functioning optimally and producing high-quality prints consistently. In this article, we'll guide you through the process of replacing the LED in your Sonic Mini 8K S.
1. Removing the Old LED Chip-on-Board
Remove the bottom case
- Turn off the printer and unplug it
- Remove the UV cover, resin vat, and building plate
- Carefully lay down your printer
- Loosen the 4 screws on the bottom case and open it
- Unplug the LED connector and Fan connector, then remove the bottom case
Remove the LED
- Remove the black lens hood after loosening the 4 screws
- Remove the LED lens frame after loosening the 4 screws
- Remove the red and black wires connecting the LED to the LED driver board
2. Installing the New LED Chip-on-Board
Install the new LED
- Reconnect the red and black wire to connect the LED to the LED driver board
- Keep the new LED chip-on-board on the back side of the heat sink
- Put LED lens onto the LED chip-on-board
- Tighten the 4 screws to secure the LED chip-on-board and the LED lens in place
- Tighten the 4 screws to reattach the black lens hood onto the bottom case
- Tighten the 4 screws to reinstall the bottom case
Verify the new LED’s functionality
- Turn the printer upright
- Plug in the power cord and switch on the printer
- Perform the built-in LCD test to check if the new LED works properly
Handle the components with care during reinstallation and tighten all screws and cables securely.
By following the above instruction, you can easily replace the LED of your Sonic Mini 8K S printer. If you face any difficulties or problems, feel free to reach out to Phrozen support or your authorized reseller for further assistance. When contacting Phrozen support, kindly send some photos or videos illustrating the issue.