1. What’s Wrong with My 3D Print?
Your models suddenly crack during a printing session? It is crucial to know why this printing issue occurs and how to fix it. Just keep on reading through this article for more information.
2. What Causes the Printing Issue?
Models usually crack mid-print due to the following reasons:
- Incorrect hollowing setup
- Incorrect resin profile settings
- Z-rod-related issue
3. Troubleshooting the Printing Issue
Fixing the model-cracking issue may require lubricating the Z-rod, adjusting rotation, and re-hollowing the models. We suggest following the steps below in order to resolve this issue:
Adding drain holes to hollow models
- Drain hole size: 3mm
- Drain hole count: at least 2
- Drain hole placing: at the bottom of models
- Make sure all the hollowed parts have drain holes to allow air flow, which helps to avoid vacuum suction
- Rotating models on both the X and Y axis
- Make sure the rotation does not create suction force
Lubricating the Z-axis
- Lubricate the bearing sleeve where the T-plate connects to the Z-rod
- Perform A-calibration and lubricate the Z-rod every 20mm to 30mm
- Refer to this article for an in-depth guide on how to clean the Z-rod
Adjusting support settings
- Increase support density and the upper diameter of supports (please refer to this article for detailed suggestions)
- Manually add more support onto the parts where models crack
If you are using a third-party resin or cannot find your resin on our official resin profile page, please use a resin exposure finder to dial in your settings. Light-off delay time is essential in resin 3D printing. With the correct settings, each layer will be printed in a much more stable manner, resulting in better quality 3D prints. Please refer to this article to learn more about light-off delay.
By following the above suggestions, you can fix the model-cracking (mid-print) issue. If the issue persists, feel free to reach out to Phrozen support or your authorized reseller for further assistance. When contacting Phrozen support, kindly send some photos or videos illustrating the issue.