Whenever you are getting a new 3D printer, whether it’s LCD or FDM, it’s always essential to start every new 3D printer with a test print which can help you first check the printer performance, and how different parameters would affect your printing results.
After you complete the initial setup process, your Sonic Mini 8K will automatically guide you to perform your first test print. Each Sonic Mini 8K printer is equipped with a sliced ready-to-print file, specifically sliced with Aqua-Gray 8K resin to ensure the highest quality. If you choose to use other resins, simply slice the test file with other parameter settings suitable for your preferred resin.
This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to run the very first test print on your Sonic Mini 8K.
1. Get prepared
- Prepare a USB drive with the ready-to-print sliced test file
- Prepare printing tools and equipment (see photo below)
- Wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) masks, goggles, and gloves
2. Install the Resin Vat
- Place the resin vat on the LCD screen
- Make sure that the bottom screws of the resin vat are perfectly aligned with the platform grooves
- Tighten the screws on both sides of the resin vat
Handle the resin vat with care when placing it to prevent damage to the LCD screen caused by the screws at the bottom of the resin tank.
3. Fill the Resin Vat with Resin
- Shake the resin bottle thoroughly (for approximately 1 minute)
- Open the resin bottle
- Gently pour resin into the resin vat (not exceeding the “MAX” limit to avoid overfilling)
- Install the printer’s UV cover
4. Print the Test File
- Power on the printer
- Plug the USB drive into the front USB port of the printer
- On the touch panel, click “PRINT” → select the .ctb file → click “GO”
- Wait for about 2h until the printing session finishes
- When the printing test has completed, the building plate will retract to the top
- Wait for the resin on the building plate to drain completely
- Proceed to the post-processing steps
1. Before every print session, make sure to check the resin vat for any cured resin and use the plastic scraper provided in the toolbox to stir the resin if needed. This will help ensure a successful print job.
2. Please take a moment to inspect the platform of the machine before starting a print job. If there is any clutter left behind, please remove it before beginning the print.
By following the above steps, you can quickly and easily run the first print on your Sonic Mini 8K. If you face any difficulties or issues, feel free to reach out to Phrozen support or your authorized reseller for further assistance. When contacting Phrozen support, kindly send some photos or videos illustrating the issue.