As 3D printers are used over time, dust and debris can accumulate on the Z-axis module and the bearing sleeve, leading to malfunctions and the appearance of layer lines on printed objects. In some cases, the Z-axis may need to be replaced entirely.
To maintain the Z-axis, it is necessary to regularly clean the Z-axis, bearing sleeve and the linear rail guide which can help to improve print quality and extend the lifespan of the printer
In this article, we'll show you how to clean the Z-axis, including the lead screw and linear rail guide.
Cleaning the Z-axis
Maintaining the Z Axis is a crucial part for your printer to perform optimally. This needs to be done in 2 stages as the Z Axis consists of 2 main parts: The Lead Screw and The Linear Rail Guide. Please follow the process for them as mentioned below to clean them individually and maintain the performance of your Z Axis.
Cleaning the Z-Rod
- Remove the UV cover, resin vat, and building plate
- Select TOOLS to manually position the building plate at the top
- Use kitchen paper towels to dry clean the Z-axis, and apply sanitizing alcohol if needed.
Lubricating the Lead Screw
- Apply the grease to the microfiber cloth, and spread it evenly along the screw. Alternatively, you can use gloves to apply the lubricant to the screw.
- Click on the button 10.00mm, then tap UP ARROW▲ for a few times until the T-plate goes up to the top.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe away any excess lubricant from the screw.
Lubricating the Linear Rail Guide
- Apply the grease to the microfiber cloth, and spread it evenly on the linear rail guide. Alternatively, you can use gloves to apply the grease to the linear rail guide.
- Click on the button 10.00mm, then tap DOWN ARROW ▼/ UP ARROW ▲ for a few times until the linear rail guide are lubricated and the grease has been spread evenly across them.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe away any excess grease from the linear rail guide.
Avoid touching any other parts of the printer with the gloves that have been contacted with lubricant
Lubricants for Z-axis
To avoid the appearance of layer lines on the surface of your prints, it's important to ensure that the bearings and screws rotate smoothly. As part of the Z-axis cleaning process, we recommend applying the following lubricants:
- WD-40 Specialist® Dry Lube with PTFE
- SUPER LUBE® Synthetic Oil with PTFE
- Shell Alvania Grease S
- REACH_151 EP Lithium Grease
What to Avoid?
- To prevent issues, it is important to avoid using lubricants with rust removal features.
- It is NOT recommended to mix WD-40 3-in-1 Lube with WD-40 Dry Lube with PTFE. Doing so can cause potential problems.
Choosing the Right Lubricant for Your 3D Printer
Consult the list below for further information on which lubricant is most suitable for your printer.
|Printer / Lubricants||WD-40 Specialist® Dry Lube with PTFE||SUPER LUBE® Synthetic Oil with PTFE||Shell_Alvania Grease S 2||REACH_151 EP Lithium Grease|
|Sonic Mega 8K S
|Sonic Mini 8K S||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic Mighty 8K||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic Mini 8K||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic Mega 8K||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic Mighty 4K||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic Mini 4K||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic 4K 2022||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic XL 4K 2022||⬤||⬤|
|Sonic XL 4K||⬤||⬤|