If you're experiencing issues with the touch panel on your Sonic Mini 8K, such as unresponsiveness or erratic behavior, don't worry, there are some steps you can take to see if the issue is simply a loose or poorly connected. This can happen if the pins of the cable have become loose or shifted out of place.
In this guide, we'll walk you through the process of reseating the cable and updating the latest firmware to avoid common touch panel-related issues and keep your printer running smoothly.
Reconnect the touch panel cable
One of the first things to check is the touch panel ribbon cable, which may have become loose or disconnected over time.
- Turn off your printer and unplug it from the power source
- Carefully lay the printer down on a flat surface
- Loosen the 4 screws on the bottom case, and then open the case
- To remove the LCD hood, follow these steps:
- Loosen the 4 screws that hold the hood in place
- Remove the hood to detach it from the device
- Locate the white ribbon cable between the mainboard and the touch panel
- To reseat the ribbon cable:-
- Open the cable clips on both the mainboard and the touch panel
- Detach the ribbon cable from both ends
- Check that the blue mark on the ribbon cable is facing upwards, then insert the cable all the way into the connectors
- Once the cable is fully inserted, lock the cable clips to secure the cable in place
- Install the LCD hood, bottom case to the printer and ensure it is securely in place
- Turn on the printer to verify that the touch panel is working properly
Updating the Firmware
Reflashing the firmware can solve touch panel issues caused by outdated software conflicts
By doing so, you can make sure the printer's software is fully compatible with the touch panel, which can help to prevent issues such as unresponsiveness or erratic behavior.
- Download the latest firmware version for your Sonic Mini 8K from Phrozen Help Center
- Format a USB drive using FAT32 with a 2048/4096 bytes allocation unit size
- Unzip the downloaded 7z file
- Copy all unzipped files onto the root page of the USB drive
- Insert the USB drive into the printer and turn it on
- Printer will automatically update files
- Once the update is complete, unplug the USB drive and reboot the printer
- Check if the touch panel issue is resolved
To avoid potential damage to your printer, always ensure that you download and install the latest firmware version specifically designed for your model. Installing incorrect firmware may render the printer inoperable.
By following these steps, you can quickly and easily check the touch panel by ensuring a secure connection. If the issue persists after attempting these steps, please contact Phrozen support or your authorized reseller for assistance.